9.07.2012

Fiesta Friday - my favorite Tex-Mex Dishes

After posting some pictures to Facebook recently that included my most favorite Tex-Mex dishes, I had several friends ask me for my recipes.  So I am shaking the dust off my blog to post them.

I warn you however, they are so ridiculously easy and simple, I am embarrassed to even use the word "recipe"... it's more of a mish-mash of ingredients. 

First up, is my (Not-so)-Famous Enchiladas.  I grew up with my mom making a version these about once a week.  It was one of the first meals I learned to cook and over the past 20+ years, I've adjusted the recipe to my own tastes (and laziness... for example, I don't actually ROLL the enchiladas... see below).

Beef Enchilada Casserole


(1) package of small flour or corn tortillas
(2) 8-ounce cans of tomato sauce (NOT paste)
(1) package of McCormick's Enchilada Seasoning
2 tablespoons of dried or fresh cilantro (I am lazy and use dried)
(1-2) lbs of ground hamburger meat (could use ground turkey too)
(1) tablespoon of minced onions
(1) tablespoon of minced or fresh garlic
(1) tablespoon of olive oil
(1) large package of shredded cheddar cheese (or a fiesta/nacho mix of cheese)

In a large skillet, heat olive oil then add minced garlic and onion.  Slightly brown and then add hamburger/turkey meat and a dash of cilantro.  Brown and Drain.

In a saucepan, combine tomato sauce, enchilada seasoning (I usually add a little garlic powder too).  I love garlic.  Heat to boiling and reduce heat to low.  Simmer for 5 minutes until it slightly thickens.

Add 1/2-1 cup of sauce to your beef mixture.  Stir well.  Should not be soupy, just enough to make the meat moist with sauce.

Take your tortillas and cut into 1-2 inch thick strips.

In a casserole pan (I use a medium sized glass pan), pour about 1/2 cup of the enchilada sauce into the bottom and then layer the tortilla strips over the top.  Next layer add layer of meat/sauce mixture you made.  Top that with a layer of cheese (I tend to be VERY generous here).  Finally add another layer of tortilla strips, then pour the remaining sauce on top of that.  The last step is the rest of your shredded cheese and sprinkle cilantro on the very top.

Bake at 375 for 15-20 minutes  until cheese is bubbling and edges are a little brown.  Let set for about 5 minutes to cool and then slice into squares like you would lasagna.  Top with sour cream if you'd like. HUGE hit at our house every week.


 Next up are my Football Night Nachos... I seriously made these up this week and they were sooooooo dang good (and I would like to think they are why the Cowboys upset the Giants during Wednesday night football)!  Again... just slapped some ingrediants together that I had on hand, and it worked.


Grilled Chicken Nachos

(2-3) large boneless chicken breasts

For Marinade:
(1) package of McCormick Baja Chicken Seasoning Packet
1/4 cup Apple Cider Vinegar
1/4 cup olive oil
1/4 cup white wine or white wine vinegar (I opt for wine, then you can drink the rest of the bottle with the nachos)
1/4 cup favorite beer (I prefer Shinerbock)

For Nachos:
1 large or 2 small bags of favorite tortilla chips (we love the On The Border ones)
1 can of refried or black beans (we prefer refried)
1 can of finely chopped black olives
2 tablespoons of Fajita Seasoning (found on the Mexican aisle of the grocery store)
1 tablespoon of garlic powder (did I mention that I LOVE garlic?)
1 tablespoon of olive oil
1 large package of shredded cheese (cheddar/mexican blend)
1 tablespoon of Cilantro

Optional toppings:
Guacamole
Shredded Lettuce
Chopped Tomatoes
Chopped Onions
Sour Cream
Salsa
Tabasco

Pre-heat your grill for the chicken and the oven at 350 for the nachos.  

Combine the Marinade ingredients in a medium sized bowl and whisk until well blended.  I usually stab the chicken breasts in a few places before putting in the marinade.  Place the bowl of chicken and marinade in the refrigerator for atleast 15 minutes (however I recommend doing this and letting the chicken marinade for up to two hours before grilling... makes for very flavorful and tender juicy chicken).

Once chicken is done marinating, place it on the grill until no longer pink in the middle and juices run clear.  DON'T OVERCOOK.

Let the chicken rest on a cutting board while you prepare the nachos.

Heat your refried beans in a pan (or a bowl in the microwave if you are me) with the tablespoon of olive oil.  Mix well until soft and warm.

Next, I always use a Pampered Chef stone baking sheet, but a regular one will work too (the Pampered Chef one is nice cause it keeps your Nachos warm after they are done and you might be wanting to go back for seconds).  On your baking sheet, layer your tortilla chips atleast two chips deep with chips overlapping across entire pan.  Spoon the refried beans onto your chips in little "blobs"... you can leave this way, or if you are anal like me, I spread them evenly across each top layer of chip evenly (this is probably the most tedious of the steps).  Once you have the refried beans on top of the chips "just so"... sprinkle the copped olives, fajita seasoning, garlic powder across the top.  Then add your first layer of cheese.  
Now it's time to put the chicken on top.  I like to slice my chicken "fajita style" across the grain and into bite size pieces.  You could also pull it apart for more of a pulled chicken style or cube it or chop it... just depends on your preference.  I place the chicken evenly across my nacho layers on the baking pan, salt and pepper that layer slightly if you want and then I layer the rest of the grated cheese across the top.  Finally I sprinkle the cilantro on top of the cheese and bake for 10-15 minutes until the cheese is bubbly and the exposed chips are a bit brown.

The final step is to add your optional fresh toppings.  I like lettuce, tomato, guac and salsa... maybe some pico if you prefer.  I use to put tabasco on top too, but my guy isn't fond of tabasco, so he has his "special sauce" he likes to use instead (rolling eyes).  

Serve warm and enjoy!


No comments:

Post a Comment